Blog Design Pointers 1

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Judging by the influx of emails that I received last week, a lot of you are looking for a little help with the look of your blog. I have decided that I will be doing 2 per week (one Tuesday, one Friday), so keep checking back.
The first blog was submitted by Amy, She said, "I have a mom/family blog. I want a clean/ dreamy type look and I also just want something new". http://www.justanothermomday.blogspot.com/

My initial thoughts on the overall look of the blog are this:
•The title of the blog is very cute.
•There are too many non relating fonts.
•Needs more cohesive sidebar elements and spacing.

I have taken her ideas of a simple, dreamy type look and have these pointers...
1) For the header, to accomplish a more dreamy feel, I did a light cream overlay to make the photos have a softer feel and chose a cute script font called masana which can be downloaded here. If you like the header here, write me and I will send it to you.
2) Also, going with the concept of "dreamy" I've created a subtle background with a light blue/gray and translucent cloud overlay. I have added this to a new freebies download page which I will be adding more downloads to in the coming weeks.
3) I would suggest changing your sidebar navigation to be more cohesive with the rest of the overall look. This can be a good place to add some new colors, you just need to make sure it gels with the rest of the look. Also, I would suggest using a nice clean font to make it stand out and be very legible.
4) I think you need to have a consistent look with your social media icons. Refer to these two blogs that I have finished recently http://www.craftylittlegnome.com/  http://www.saturatedcanary.blogspot.com/
5) I've never been a fan of script or handwritten fonts involved in the content of a blog. I would suggest using a simpler clean font for the blog titles and info.
6) I noticed a strange look to your facebook widget, and I realized that the sizing doesn't match up with the sidebar that it is contained in (I think the widget is too big). Basically there are 2 ways this can be dealt with. Either you can make it more narrow so it fits inside the column, or you can make it span across both columns like the images above the sponsors section. Here is how you can adjust the size of that widget.
find the widget in your layout mode and locate this code.
<div class='widget-content'>
<script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"></script><fb:like-box href="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Another-Manic-Momday/167914493226686" width="225" show_faces="false" stream="true" header="true"></fb:like-box>
</div>
as you can see the width="225" is stating that the width of that widget is 225 wide which is wider than that colum. You can adjust that number to be the width of that column and it will fit. OR, you can make it a larger number if you want to have it span both columns. ALSO, if you add height="anynumber" right after the width code you can add any number there to define the height of the widget...

I hope some of these ideas and pointers are helpful. Remember, the point of these posts is to help you get some ideas of how your blog can look better, please take some of my ideas and work on them and form them into your vision. I look forward to seeing what all of you come up with.
 - Addy's Daddy.

No comments: