A Side Note to an Instagram Post

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

After I posted this on my Instagram account and received a couple of comments, my wife mentioned to me that maybe #3 almost comes across that I had a problem with drugs and alcohol when I was younger. I just wanted to state for the record that this isn't the case, I've never really done any hard drugs and only had a short stint with drinking. It is more of a choice that I made when I was 19 that I have still kept. It has always been about a choice for me, and I don't care much what other people do as long as it isn't destructive. One thing that has kept this in my mind strongly is that I have had to deal first hand with a member of my family being addicted to heroin and it has been tough. Being that I don't have much experience with drugs, I didn't notice many of the signs until it was too late. It is a very defeating thing to have someone you love fall into the grips of an addiction, and with every attempt you make it becomes more and more apparent that this thing is much stronger than you. After many, many attempts that often lead to destructive situations for me and my life, I decided that the only thing that could help was this person them self. And that was years ago and not too much has changed. Maybe at some point I will have this person back, but for now they are gone and they may never come back and it makes me feel even stronger in my personal choice to stay away from drugs and alcohol.

No comments: