Smiles after the Tears

Wednesday, December 29, 2010


I'm happy I was still able to get some nice smiles and fun out of Adeline tonight after the day we all had. Today Adeline had to have a small operation for a short frenulum (tissue that connects the tongue to the floor of the mouth). We have been trying many different avenues (everything we could) to address the fact that she isn't gaining weight at the rate the doctors would like to see. We have been hearing about this procedure since she was born because our midwife noticed that her frenulum could cause a problem with breast feeding. With all the effort we put in to avoid doing this to our baby, today we had our appointment and had the procedure done. It was a quick 5 minute surgery done with a laser, but it didn't seem fast or simple to us while we were there. Mommy was in tears (more so than Addy was), I kept it together although I felt like I wanted to join in on the sobbing. Making decisions like these are so hard, but I'm confident that we did enough to make sure that this was the right move. We instantly saw a difference in her latch and her suction, so I'm hoping this will make things turn around. I'm not looking forward to the next week of making sure that there isn't any reattachment where the surgery was done. I think this is a glimpse into the future that sometimes doing the best thing for her isn't always going to be that easy. Whatever the problem is, if I can get a smile that sweet in the end, how could I not smile myself.


Click To Vote For Us @ the Top Baby Blogs Directory! The most popular baby blogs

No comments: